Public Bulletin Board and Literature Policy
The library provides space on its public bulletin board for announcements and notices of local community events, and in its literature display racks for distribution of free materials which may be of interest to library patrons. Both of these policies are in keeping with the library's overall philosophy of providing access to a wide range of information sources.
- All notices, posters, and free literature must be approved and placed on the bulletin board or in the display racks by library staff. Staff may discard items not approved for placement, and excess copies of any items received.
- Staff will follow publicly posted guidelines in making decisions about the placement of materials. Items will be posted or made available on an equitable basis, subject to available space, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of the individuals or groups represented.
- Religious and political materials are permissible for informational purposes or special events; materials which have the primary effect to proselytize for a single point of view will not be displayed.
- In general, no items devoted solely to the sale, advertising, solicitation or promotion of commercial products or services for a profit-making business will be accepted. Staff may make exceptions for announcements of educational opportunities provided by profit-making businesses, or for items including a variety of beneficiaries.
- Posting of a notice or placement of materials in a display rack does not imply endorsement by library staff or the Library Board.