As of Thursday, April 10th 2014, the OverDrive mobile app for BlackBerry will no longer be available
BlackBerry users with the app installed prior to April 10th will be able to continue downloading eBooks and audiobooks, however, OverDrive will not engage in any further development or testing for this app
OverDrive Help for Blackberry Playbook
The Playbook supports MP3 formatted audiobooks and ePub eBooks.
Operating System Update
In order to access the Overdrive app, the Blackberry Playbook Operating System must be updated to v 2.0.
1. Tap Settings on your Playbook (upper right hand corner) and select Software Updates.
2. Tap Check for Updates, and download the new operating system.
Required software and authorization
Before you can download library books to your Playbook, you will need to install Overdrive Media Console.
1. Tap on the App World icon on the Playbook.
2. Search for Overdrive Media Console (OMC). Tap Download on the OMC app page to install the app.
3. Open the installed OMC app. Swipe down from the top of the screen and an Options menu will appear. Tap App Settings. Scroll down the App Settings screen until you see where to enter your Adobe ID and password. If you do not have one you can easily create one at this link.
4. Click Authorize.
Add Colchester - East Hants Public Library (CEHPL) to your library list
To begin using the app, configure it to connect to CEHPL’s mobile OverDrive site.
1. Open the app on your Playbook and swipe down from the top of the screen to see the Options menu.
2. Tap Get Books
3. Tap Add a Library and enter Colchester - East Hants Public Library in the search box and tap Search.
4. Tap the entry for CEHPL and then the 'star' in the library detail screen. This saves the Library to your Library list.
5. Tap Colchester - East Hants Public Library to visit the mobile site and begin searching.
Searching for and downloading titles
1. Browse or Search for titles you are interested in downloading. The Playbook supports MP3 formatted audiobooks and ePub eBooks.
2. You can restrict your search to titles currently available by clicking the check box near the top of the screen that says limit to available titles.
3. When you have found a title you want, select Add to Cart. If the title is already checked out by someone else, you may request it by selecting Place a Hold. To see how many copies the library owns and how many people have holds on it, click on a title with holds.
4. After you have added an available title to your cart, select Proceed to Checkout. Select your library (Colchester - East Hants Public Library). Log in by entering your library card number and PIN (last 4 digits of your phone number). Manage the lending period using the drop-down menu. Select Confirm check out.
5. You can now download the title using the Download button under the item. The title will automatically download and open in the Overdrive Media Console app on your Playbook.
eBooks and audiobooks expire on their due date, but you can return them prior to that if you are using the app. This allows someone else to enjoy the book when you are finished.
In Bookshelf view, tap the plus symbol beside the book title and then tap Return/Delete.
~ eBooks and audiobooks cannot be renewed
~ A limit of 10 items total can be out to you at one time.
~ A collection of “Always Available” copyright free books are available in the footer area of the mobile download site.